We are in need of Officials for the upcoming 2021/2022 Season Gameplay! If you or someone you know is interested in updating or obtaining credentials, please read on.
Officials are required to be 12 years of age prior to December 31 of the current season to be eligible to officiate. All fees for courses are reimbursed by SMHA.
- All NEW Officials (never officiated prior) are required to complete Hockey University (HU) – Officiating 1⁄2 Online Module. This must be completed prior to registering for the in-person clinic.All Information on getting started can be found on the BC Hockey Website:
- All NEW & RETURNING Officials 18 years and older require a current & valid Criminal Record Check. This is required prior to registering for either new or returning official clinics and can be completed online HERE:
- All RETURNING OFFICIALS (Officiated previously) must complete their yearly recertification online only. Virtual course offerings can be found HERE.
- The External Sport Credentials Program (ESCP) presents opportunities for student-participants to obtain graduation credits through reaching a standard in Ministry of Education approved external courses in the categories of athlete, coach and official. This program is administered and monitored by the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development – Sport Branch. Further info can be found HERE.
- SMHA Officials Course: we will be holding an in-person Officials Course on Sunday, October 17, 2021.
8:45 am – 9:45 am: On-ice portion for ALL Officials (no need to pre-register).
8:30 am – 1:30 pm: In-person course for NEW officials (including on-ice portion). Registration for the in-person course is found HERE for U9 and HERE for Level 1.
We suggest all new Officials register at Level 1, not U9. All Officials are required to attend the on-ice portion.
If you have any questions regarding Officials Certification, please contact Stephen Fryer at [email protected].