Information For Officials
Requirements For Becoming An SMHA Official:
- Must be 12 years of age by Dec 31st of the upcoming season.
- Must register with the Hockey Canada eHockey website and complete the level 1 module.**
- Must complete the BC Hockey certification clinic.
- Must complete a referee development program (this program consists of on ice drills and procedure, instruction and a game situation session during which the trainees will be shadowed by referee supervisors).
The Following Equipment Is Required:
- Helmet with half shield (shield attached at three points on the helmet)
- Whistle (Acme Thunder is recommended)
- Linesman Jersey (with snaps to allow for referee arm bands to be worn)
- Shin guards and athletic supporter with cup
- Plain back track pants
- Elbow pads (recommended but not required)
Any questions please contact our Referee-in Chief, Stephen Fryer at email@example.com.
**The E-Learning course with Hockey Canada must be completed in order to register for a new officials clinic. This clinic is by invitation only and you must have completed the SMHA application form on-line to be on the list. You will then be contacted and the link to register will be forwarded to you. Please make sure that your contact information is correct and up to date on the application form.
Re-certification For Returning Officials
Please note that all officials must re-certify every year. If you are an official who has worked for one season and are returning you are a “Returning Official”. If you are below 16 years of age (as of December 31st of this year) you are a Level 1 Official. If you are 16 years of age or older you are a Level 2 Official.
LEVEL 1's (aged 12 to 15 years) AND THOSE NEW TO OFFICIATING (aged 16 years and up) receive certification in a blended model requiring the completion of both an online E-Learning Course and attendance at a face to face clinic. The E-Learning Course must be completed prior to attending the clinic!
You MUST be re-certified by December 31st or you will not be eligible to officiate beyond that date. Please go to the following link to access information regarding certification clinics and the required online module.
Once you enter the link and see the list of clinics you will see “info” on the right hand side. Click this link for additional information.
BC Hockey policy requires all officials eighteen (18) years or older as of December 31 to complete a Criminal Record Check (CRC) prior to registering for the season.
PCAHA Officials Information Page
BC Hockey Officials Page
Hockey Canada Officials Resource